Yahoo Mail sends all mail to iphone, some to MacBook

Reaction score
I have searched everywhere and can't find an answer to this specific challenge.

I use Yahoo mail for my MacBook (Yosemite) and iphone. I receive every email on my iphone yahoo mail. And on my MacBook Yahoo email, there are a few emails that I don't receive (they are only on my iphone). On my MacBook I have tried switching to basic mail and that doesn't work. These senders are not in my banned addresses, nor or they listed as spam.

Thank you for your help.:Cool:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums.

I don't offer a definitive answer, but make a suggestion based on a similar experience I had.

Although your email account may be synchronised across your devices, check each account to see whether they are all POP3 or all IMAP. It is quite possible to have the same email account as a POP3 on one device and IMAP on another. I do, for instance, and adjust my email viewing practice to account for this. I'm sure you already know that POP and IMAP behave in different ways.

Please post back the results and we can take things from there.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Ian,
Thank you so much for your help! I posted this before, but I don't think it took, so I am writing it again::)

Actually I am not that familiar with POP3 and IMAP. I searched the web and the directions to make my Yahoo account POP3 or IMAP was to do it through another program like Mac Mail or Outlook. I do not have another program. What can I do?

Jules

OP
J
Reaction score
Ian,
I opened Mac Mail and the only emails were the 9 that came up on my iphone. Those nine didn't show up on my Yahoo mail. Jules

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Don't thank me yet. I haven't solved your problem; but let's keep at it.

When I read your first post-back, I got the impression that you didn't use another app, like Mail. I assumed you were entirely web-based.

Now, things are better.

Let's start with your MacBook.

Open Mail. Then from the top Menu Bar, click on Mail and, from the dropdown, select Preferences [BTW, the quick way to get to preferences in any app is to use Cmd + , (comma) ].

In preferences, click on Accounts.

On the left side will be a list of your email account or accounts.

You should see Yahoo and under the name "Yahoo" it will read IMAP or POP3. What does yours say?

This will be our starting point.

When we know that, then we can sort out your iPhone.

Just for interest, a little bedtime reading if you're in the mood. As you say you are a little unclear about the difference between POP and IMAP, here are a couple of links. I'm not suggesting you do anything, just for general info:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165600/software-web/how-to-convert-a-pop-email-account-to-imap.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/143164/2009/10/imap.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165600/software-web/how-to-convert-a-pop-email-account-to-imap.html

Stick with it. We'll do our best.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm absolutely delighted Jules; but I don't think I had much to do with it! Well done.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.