Help with Airport

Reaction score
I am debating buying an Airport Express or Airport Extreme. The Extreme is nice, but I don't think I will use any of the benefits of it over the Express.

I have a 30/5 internet connection.
I do no internal networking other than printing.
The wireless network is only for internet access and printing.
My home is an 1,100sqft condo in which the router will be in the middle.

I connect:
  • MacBook Air
  • iPad
  • iPhone
  • 2 Roku Streaming Video Players
  • 2 Smart TV's
  • Printer

Knowing this, would I see any disadvantage to using the Airport Express?

I know one of the big differences is that the Extreme has wireless AC, but I don't think that would benefit me since I am limited by my internet connection. Is the wireless N better in the Extreme or the same as the Express?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I own the previous version of the AirPort Extreme which is dual band 802.11n and has worked fine for 3 years (my incoming Time-Warner DL/UP speeds are about 22/3 Mbps) - the AP Express has a much smaller footprint (see images below from Apple), only one outgoing ethernet port and has not been upgraded to the newer 'ac' standard which likely would make little difference for your needs. We also have two Roku devices and both stream well (along w/ 2 iPads, iPhone, MBPro, iPod, and a number of other electronic devices on Wi-Fi - our iMac is cabled to the router).

For more comparative information, checkout this Macworld Article - a portion is quoted stating several of the pros & cons of the AP Express - Dave

It only has two Ethernet connections on the rear (and they are 100base-T rather than the new Gigabit Ethernet) and while it features AirPrint, so you can attach a printer it lacks AirDisk. So you can’t use the AirPort Express for wireless backups.

It does have a unique feature, however. The presence of small 3.5mm mini jack socket that enables you to connect the AirPort Extreme to a music system. This audio jack enables you to connect a speaker to the AirPort Extreme and use it as an AirPlay speaker (so you can bounce music to it from any device).
Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 2.41.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 2.43.11 PM.png

OP
T
Reaction score
I have read that the Extreme has an overall better wireless router, so even in the N band it will do better than the Express. That was my main concern, and if true, I would probably be happier with the Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have read that the Extreme has an overall better wireless router, so even in the N band it will do better than the Express. That was my main concern, and if true, I would probably be happier with the Extreme.

Well, if the larger (taller) footprint and the added price is not an issue, then I would definitely support your choice of the AP Extreme - never know what your future home networking needs may be and the Extreme has been upgraded more recently - Dave :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Dave.

I think the Extreme will be a better choice.

SOmetimes you find products that are more expensive than a lesser model only have a few extra features that you may not even need. I just wanted to make sure that this isn't the case with the Extreme.

Now the question is whether I should buy a new Extreme for $180 from Amazon or a refurbished model for $130 from Apple. I've never been a fan of refurbished products, but I assume something that Apple refurbed would be better than most. Decisions decisions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now the question is whether I should buy a new Extreme for $180 from Amazon or a refurbished model for $130 from Apple. I've never been a fan of refurbished products, but I assume something that Apple refurbed would be better than most. Decisions decisions...

Well, many trust Apple's refurbished products (info below from their website) - stringent repair and testing criteria plus a year warranty, and you can still add Apple Care; BUT, now it's in your hands - good luck on your selection and let us know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 8.08.32 PM.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually made a new thread asking about people's real world experience with Apple refurbs.

While we on on the topic of networking, I have another question. I see people talking about using an Airport Extreme as the main router and then 1 or 2 Airport Expresses as wireless access points around the house when 1 router isn't enough to cover the whole house. But it seems like doing that would only give you wireless AC when you are close to the Extreme. You would go to wireless N when you are connecting the the Expresses, correct?

It just seems like if AC is important to the person, enough to buy an Extreme for more money, that they should also get it when connecting to the other routers (ie use multiple Airport Extremes instead of 1 Extreme and then Expresses).

Am I off base or what?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually made a new thread asking about people's real world experience with Apple refurbs.

While we on on the topic of networking, I have another question. I see people talking about using an Airport Extreme as the main router and then 1 or 2 Airport Expresses as wireless access points around the house when 1 router isn't enough to cover the whole house. But it seems like doing that would only give you wireless AC when you are close to the Extreme. You would go to wireless N when you are connecting the the Expresses, correct?

It just seems like if AC is important to the person, enough to buy an Extreme for more money, that they should also get it when connecting to the other routers (ie use multiple Airport Extremes instead of 1 Extreme and then Expresses).

Am I off base or what?

Bump^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Am I off base or what?

Hello again - well this topic has been covered in many threads in this forum, so a little searching might have helped - just saying; also, there are plenty of Apple Support Articles that discuss this topic - for one check HERE, or google 'Apple AirPort Express bridge mode'.

For your relatively small condo (believe just over 1000 sq ft - my house is 2400 sq ft and is serve well w/ just an AP Extreme router), one router should be adequate. But if indeed a single router does not completely create a satisfactory Wi-Fi network, then some type of 'extension' may be needed - this can be done wirelessly, wired (via ethernet), or even using your power lines.

But one of way to extend your network is to use another router, such as an AP Express, which is setup in 'bridge mode' using the same SSID which will permit roaming the area - your Wi-Fi may change which router is connected but w/o your input at all; the 'bridge mode' basically turns off that device's control of the network using such protocols as DHCP & NAT; note that the AP Express will use the 'n' protocol - if you REALLY want to learn about this 'stuff' then I would suggest the book below - covers recent 802.11 protocols, emphasizes Apple networks, and is a cheap Kindle DL (it's on my iPad). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 3.51.18 PM.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello again - well this topic has been covered in many threads in this forum, so a little searching might have helped - just saying;

You didn't actually read my question. Instead, you just made assumptions and then made a condescending post - just saying.

My question has nothing to do with my condo or my network, or anything else you said in your post, it was clearly a hypothetical question. My question is asking why people always seem to use an Extreme for the main router and Expresses as AP's, when the Expresses don't do AC. It seems weird to me that the person would want AC and purchase an Extreme, but then be OK with only N when they are in different areas of their house in which they are connected to the Expresses. To me, it seems like you should either get all Extremes or all Expresses. But there is probably more to it, which is why I am asking.

I DID search for this topic, but did not find anything discussing it. And no, I shouldn't have to pay for a book to find an answer to a question when the very message board that I am typing on right now is supposed to be here for this exact type of thing.

This forum is very slow. I find it amazing that in one post, not only do you clearly not answer my question, but you tell me twice not to post because I should instead 1) search and 2) buy a book to find the answer.

I'll go to Mac Rumors, maybe they are OK with people asking questions about Apple products.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question has nothing to do with my condo or my network, or anything else you said in your post, it was clearly a hypothetical question.

Hypothetical questions are always welcome. Sometimes makes us think of situations we may not always encounter in everyday life.:)

My question is asking why people always seem to use an Extreme for the main router and Expresses as AP's, when the Expresses don't do AC. It seems weird to me that the person would want AC and purchase an Extreme, but then be OK with only N when they are in different areas of their house in which they are connected to the Expresses.

Two thoughts.

1. Maybe the only option at the moment for folks with a large home or large business space…and want to stay 100% Apple.
2. Maybe Apple hasn't gotten around yet to updating the Express's to be capable of wireless AC.:)

This forum is very slow.

Not at all.:) The nature of your question is a "bit off the beaten path" (and being hypothetical). Thus folks may not have an answer, solution, or opinion to share.

If you view some of our other threads…some threads may get 20+ responses in a day. And get the first response within minutes.:)

I'll go to Mac Rumors, maybe they are OK with people asking questions about Apple products.

Well…you do what you got to do!;) But many folks think that Mac-Forums is superior to Mac-Rumors.;)

- Nick

p.s. By the way. You've only started two threads on Mac-Forums. Your other thread was regarding Apple refurbished products. If you think about things carefully…you got a lot of good helpful advice in that thread.:) Don't be so quick to get angry in one thread…when you got some super help in other threads.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
BTW. Re-reading post #1. The question doesn't sound very hypothetical. If this question was posed as a "hypothetical" in post #1. Folks may have approached answering in a different manner.

With a 1100sq.ft. condo (from a practical not hypothetical perspective)…an Airport Extreme would be more than enough.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.