Running External Bootcamp Drive on a Virtual Machine

Reaction score
OK so this will be a long post and anyone who gets through it and replies I want to thank you in advance!.

First of all I shall explain my current Bootcamp setup. Rather than allowing bootcamp to hog all my hard drive space on my mac I have installed it on an external hard drive. Currently I am using a buffalo ministation, which has a thunderbolt and a usb 3.0 connection. I have replaced the hard drive inside the mini-station with a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. As you can see below the list of disks which my computer currently has. There is still a Bootcamp partition on the internal disk but it is only 1.3GB and just has the boot files installed by Bootcamp. Where as the Bootcamp partition on the external drive contains the all the Windows 10 OS files (system 32 ect.) I can explain how I made the bootcamp partition if required.

diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac HD 248.9 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 1.3 GB disk0s4
/dev/disk1 (external, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 249.8 GB disk1s2

So this is where my dilemma starts. What I am trying to do is run a virtual machine of my bootcamp (which will still allow me to use bootcamp when required for heavier operations) but use vm when Im doing simple tasks. First I tried using VM ware Fusion and then Parallels, both which have their own bootcamp support. However in my case neither would work most likely due to the fact of having the Windows OS on an external drive.

I then tried following this guide (https://kindlevsmac.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/how-to-run-windows-7-bootcamp-in-virtualbox/) For using a bootcamp partition with virtual box. This seems to get the furthest where it loads up a blue screen telling me I need to repair windows. However I believe virtual box does not have thunderbolt support but using the usb 3.0 connection does not work either.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I might solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok so this is the blue screen I get from Virtual box I believe the problem is that it doesn't support a thunderbolt connection. I believe parallels does support thunderbolt but not as a boot device. Ill keep trying things out but this is just some more information I hope it helps.
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-07%20at%2011.07.41%20AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.