File saved to Desktop does not appear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
UPDATE:

After posting this, I turned OFF (Shut Down) my iMac, let it sit for a while, then turned it back ON, and Desktop is displaying "properly" and everything else seems to be okay.

I apologize. I should have Shut Down and restarted before posting. That's what I normally do here.

Below is what I originally posted. I would delete the post, but I think I am unable to do that.
-------------------------------------------------------

Apparently, I have clicked on something I should not have.

Suddenly, this morning, when I Saved a file to the Desktop, it saved properly but it does not appear on the Desktop.

I know the file has been saved to the Desktop because if I open, say, LibreOffice, click on File>Open...>Desktop, the file's name appears, and if I click on it, it opens. But when I close the opened file, POOF! it disappears.

When I right click the Desktop and choose Show View Options, nothing appears.

What have I done?

Thank you.

PS I just created a folder on the Desktop and then dragged it to the Trash where it left the attached image.

ghost.jpg

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Don't worry. No problem. An Admin or Mod may take it down.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I apologize. I should have Shut Down and restarted before posting. That's what I normally do here.

I'm glad you were able to fix your problem using the classic fix-it-fix.

If you want to make things a bit easier to find on your desktop. You could make an alias to your desktop folder then drag it down to the right end of your Dock, and then have your preferences set to open it in list View or date which could make things easier to find in case the file gets hidden or whatever.

If you use an alias to the folder, you can keep the Finder views intact, rather than a stack which I and maybe others find easier to deal with.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Actually, Patrick, to put Desktop on the Dock, right click on it in the Finder Sidebar and select "Add to Dock" will do that. No need to create an alias.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, Patrick, to put Desktop on the Dock, right click on it in the Finder Sidebar and select "Add to Dock" will do that.

Thanks for the info Nick and that's a pretty slick neat trick that I didn't actually know about.

And with so many embedded bad habits, I keep forgetting to use some of the nice neat features of the Finder in the Dock. 😀

- Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's great that you were able to resolve the issue by restarting your iMac.

Always a good thing to try first when things just don't seem to be working properly... 😉

computers-it_support-call_centre-troubleshooting-cyberphobia-rebooting-dbcn575_low.jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Actually, Patrick, to put Desktop on the Dock, right click on it in the Finder Sidebar and select "Add to Dock" will do that. No need to create an alias.

And, to add to that just for fun, tapping the F11 Key will immediately show the Desktop and tapping it again will return you to whatever you were doing.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, to add to that just for fun, tapping the F11 Key will immediately show the Desktop

That may be true for those using the more recent Mac model than I am using, but that doesn't work with my 2011 127-in iMac running OS X 10.11.6 = El Capitan. 😉

But no real need as my desktop folder sits happily in my Dock, regardless of how I got it there. And it also works like a normal folder as I prefer and not as a stack which drives me crazy.

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never mind Patrick. It's no big deal. Don't know when it was introduced, but it's certainly there on my old Mac running High Sierra. (As well as on my main Mac - Sonoma).

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I just did that.
Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.