How do I disable and delete Messages on my iPad without affecting Messages on my MBP and my iPhone?

Reaction score
I have an MBP, an iPhone and an iPad, all of which are less than 2 years old, are up to date, and are synced to iCloud.

I use Messages on my MBP and on my iPhone, but I do not use Messages on my iPad.

I would like to disable Messages on my iPad, and then delete the messages that are on it, without disabling or deleting the messages on my MBP and my iPhone.

I've searched a bit on how to do this, but I'm not entirely certain that I'll be able to do it without affecting my messages on my MBP and my iPhone.

Anyone know how to do this safely?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
1 Open the Settings app on the iPad.
2 Select your Apple ID.
3 DeSelect Messages in iCloud.
4 Then you can delete the app.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's that simple?

Well, yes. Messages, like any other thing like Photos, Mail, Passwords and Keychain, Reminders, Contacts, Calendar, Music and more, are synced via iCloud, to any/all your Mac Devices.

Bob has shown you how to DeSelect those you don't want synced.:);)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sorry, I forgot 2 steps;
After #2, you need to select iCloud. After you select iCloud, you will need to click on Show More Apps in the Apps Using iCloud area.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.