Messenger permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
I reinstalled Monterey and am having problems with Messenger. It came up with something about granting permissions. I was not sure that sounded like a good idea so I quit. It had offered a link to doing the granting. Now, no matter what I try, including complete removal and reinstall it just comes up with a screen that says

Getting Started...
Please give permissions to access stored credentials

There does not seem to be any help to do that and no path off that page.

I think this is a more or less new version of Messenger that I don't think I have seen while running on High Sierra.

Questions:
What permissions are needed, and why?
How to grant them?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have to say that I have not encountered a request from Messenger (which I have) for special Permissions.

I think that what you need to do is Click on the Messenger app to Open it. It will probably ask you to LogIn to Facebook. Do that. When it conforms that you are the real you, the next step is that you will see something like this:

S1.jpg

Click on Allow. You should then see something like this:

S2.jpg

Try that. That's what I have just done and it works.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If Ian's suggestion doesn't work, there seem to be quite a few over the years that have the same problem and may have a solution for you:

Look through some of the hits here:

And specifically:

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
FB seems to have upped their security a little recently. I had to reset my FB Messenger app on my MBP just last week.
It was simple enough, login to FB on my browser, authorise on my iPhone and set a pin code on my phone. Enter the pin on the FB Messenger app on my MBP and done.
Sadly this is the "state of the nation" these days, bad people keep trying to steal our stuff and software companies keep upping their security making us users jump through more and more hoops to prove we are who we say we are. Retinal scanning next?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
My (first) problem is that I don't have a way to do a log in, or whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My (first) problem is that I don't have a way to do a log in, or whatever.

Could you provide a bit more detail as to watch your actual problem is and the versions of the software you are using to attempt to do so and I am sure some members will be able to help you with your problem.

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Monterey on a 27" 2017 iMac
Freshly downloaded Messenger v208.0
Facebook is whatever I via the the web with Google Chrome V124.0.6367.62

Messenger (and Facebook) works OK on my iPhone, MBP on Catalina, and a mid-2011 27" iMac on High Sierra.

I think I had seen Messenger work before on the 2017 iMac. Recently I did a clean reinstall of Monterey.

Not sure, but I think this started at that point. The first time I tried to launch Messenger after that It came up with a screen with something about granting what seemed to be rather excessively broad permissions. I don't recall exactly what, but lots. I declined to doo that. I don't recall exactly how. Since then any time I launch Messenger I get that window above with Getting Started and please give permissions to access stored credentials. There is nothing else in the window and nothing in the menus. I have searched around looking for an idea of what I might need to grant with no luck so far. I have deinstalled it with App Cleaner & Uninstaller, and reloaded it fdrom the app store several times with no change.

It kind of feels like whatever I did the first time when I did not follow the link to granting acceses maybe something somewhere was put in a state that Messenger is now seeing and acting as I mentioned.

Note, I see a good bit mentioned around Facebook login. I hardly ever have to do that. I suspect because I use Dashlane to store and supply passwords to apps. Maybe MacOS is storing something too.
I know that I do not see any request for login when the above is going on. Maybe I am somehow tripping up over some of the newer security "features" the considerably newer version of MacOS - I am gradually learning/relearning the newer stuff. I mostly have used the High Sierra system and fallin behind, at least in some ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am gradually learning/relearning the newer stuff. I mostly have used the High Sierra system and fallin behind, at least in some ways.

Have you tried shutting down your iMac and wait a minute or two and then boot up using Safe Boot Mode and then also try running Disk Utility and repair the boot volume and check it and see if Messenger works better and then just Restart normally.

Don't just do Restart. The above routine often fixes strange goofy happening things.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It seems the "Getting Started" window is not completing it's task.
Try restarting your computer or turn off completely then turn back on. Try to launch Messenger again and give the Getting Started window some time to search for whatever it needs. Hopefully when it finds its settings/preferences have been removed it will ask again.
Kind of in line with what Patrick wrote above as I was writing this post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The Permissions is in System Preferences (or System Settings) on the Privacy & Security Tab. It should say "AllowMessenger to access such and such".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on the Privacy & Security Tab. It should say "AllowMessenger to access such and such".

I'm sure Bob is correct and I'm positive such a setting was in my System Preferences of my 2011 iMac running OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, but when I had a look to check there is no sign of Amazon so related and I certainly didn't remove it and I don't see any method of doing so anyway.

Strange. Anyway, my old version of Apple's Messenger works, such as it is. It displays and works like an unfinished piece of sloppy developed software.

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No luck so far. I could try to list the problems I have had trying to do the things above, but most would steer us off in other directions that are likely to be distractions.

On this Monterey 12.7.4. looking in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> each of the 20 items listed in the left column (Location Services, Contacts, ...) I do not see any mention of Messenger.

Looking in the same places on the High Sierra and Catalina systems, where Messenger does seem to be working, I also do not see any mention.

I suspect part of this involves upgraded security design in the newer OS versions.

For reference the problem version on Monterey show About Messenger (in its problem state) shows Version 208.0. On the Catalina system it shows the same version number. the version is 97.11.116 ((because there isn't an update for Messenger for the old High Sierra OS).

Now interesting, whenI went into Messenger on the Catalina machine I saw new screens involving logging in to it, and offering to login via Facebook. I don't recall that ever came up before. Some of the past comments suggestthat there has been a change in the way the Messenger works, involving Facebook. I have not seen anything about what is going on with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect part of this involves upgraded security design in the newer OS versions.

I'm sorry I have no real guaranteed suggestion for you but you might want to go through a Google search list and see what some of their hits have to say and maybe there's a solution for you somewhere there:

By the way, are you sure you are spelling the name of the application "Messenger" properly that you are having a problem with? Just a thought...
My Apple version I'm using when using OS X 10.11: El Capitan is called "Messages". Maybe they changed its name?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm sorry I have no real guaranteed suggestion for you but you might want to go through a Google search list and see what some of their hits have to say and maybe there's a solution for you somewhere there:

By the way, are you sure you are spelling the name of the application "Messenger" properly that you are having a problem with? Just a thought...
My Apple version I'm using when using OS X 10.11: El Capitan is called "Messages". Maybe they changed its name?

- Patrick
=======
I think, Patrick, he is referring to the Facebook App called Messenger, not the Apple application Messages. If that is correct, then any issue with sync is a FB issue, and may or may not involve loggin issues with FB on the non-functioning system. FB has definitely been messing about with security changes lately, which has been most annoying to my wife, who uses it much more than I. She even got locked out of her own account because she tried to log in while on a trip to UK, and the folks at FB determined that it was a hack attempt, blocked it until and unless she loggen into her account from her phone, but the phone was also in UK, of course, so they just tanked the whole thing. Took two weeks once she got back before FB decided that she was, indeed, the account owner. Apparently FB users don't travel...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. Exactly correct.

I suspect I am further complicated by the fact I have two identities (accounts?) I have to switch between when I go into Chrome. One is my original gmail account. The other came to me via something I have never quitenailed down. As an IEEE member I used a service it offered that provided a mail address alias. [email protected]. It was served by IEEE. But sometime along the way they witched to something that goes through some sort of service from Google I beleive. hen I open Chrome and it offers me a Google input page it wants to know which account. Once I pickthat it stays set unless I use an option to change. That lasts until the next reboot I think. Anyway, I have had no end of problems with the IEEE mail scheme over the years since that came.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0

- Patrick
=======
IMG_0057.jpeg

You are right, never noticed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But sometime along the way they witched to something that goes through some sort of service from Google I beleive. hen I open Chrome and it offers me a Google input page it wants to know which account. Once I pickthat it stays set unless I use an option to change. That lasts until the next reboot I think. Anyway, I have had no end of problems with the IEEE mail scheme over the years since that came.

I would suggest and say it's time to start over and get back to some basics a double check all your Facebook Help and double-check all settings which you might be able to access from here:

And maybe try using a basic email client and drop your IEEE mail scheme whatever it is you were using.

It sounds to me like your computer on the software you are using doesn't know who's who or which way is up and you need to get it stabilized maybe just start from scratch and stick to basic stuff that actually works quite well for most users.

Thanks to Jake for helping to clear up matters and help translate your posts and problems a bit more accurately. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.