Questions about Optic Fibre

Reaction score
(1) The above is not yet an option at this address in the UK although ‘Lightning Fibre’ is being laid in the town. I understand that a BT fibre network is also to be laid. So, will these two companies be laying separate optic fibre cables under the pavements? Will we have two separate optic fibre cables throughout the town? Or will there be just one cable that is shared?

(2) At present, I have BT copper wires to a router for BB. The router gives me the option of WI-FI or Ethernet.
When I finally get optic fibre, I presume a different router will be required. Will this new router provide both WIFI and Ethernet?

Thanks in advance for clarification …

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well for;

1) They may share the lines although that will make it harder to enroll different customers to their companies.

2) Yes, most routers provide both ethernet and Wi-Fi internet connections.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Bob, for that speedy reply.
Am I right that a different router will be required when optic fibre finally arrives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe. if you purchased the router, it may be usable with the newer fiber wires. It just might not be as fast as the new router would be. In the US, the provider usually offers a router designed for the providers system. But we can buy a different one if we want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks, Bob, for that speedy reply.
Am I right that a different router will be required when optic fibre finally arrives?
There are actually two components to the network interface from the provider (ISP) and your local network, either WiFi or Ethernet. The first is the modem, which converts the fiber optic digital signals to copper digital signals. Second is the router, which takes the signals from the ISP, through the modem, and connects them to your internal local network (LAN) into which your individual devices log, and from which they get individual addresses so they can talk to one another and share the LAN as it connects to the ISP network. Generally, most providers merge the modem and router in one physical device and label it the "router" for your network. However, fiber has the complication of converting glass to copper, so there may be two separate devices, one for the modem and another for the router. Here in my area, the one fiber optic provider uses an external modem, attached to the house outside where the fiber optic cable arrives. It then has an Ethernet cable that goes through the wall to a WiFi router, in the case of ths particular provider, and Eero router. From that WiFi would be spread through the house. I suspect your providers will do similar kinds of things for you. The beauty of the separate devices is that if there is a problem, it can be diagnosed to one or the other of the devices and replaced fairly easily.

If you want Ethernet in your local network, you would have to provide it from the router to wherever you want it. Most, if not all, providers stop at the router, with the rest of the LAN being the customer's responsibility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks to both for your comprehensive replies.
One thing that I forgot to mention is that we are in a block of flats.
I presume that anyone in the block who doesn't want to change to fibre, will be able to continue with copper.
When the time comes, I will opt for the router recommended by the company in question.
I will, however, be shifting location from time to time.
At the other location it is doubtful whether optic fibre will be available any time soon. There is already a conventional router (for copper wires) at the other location. Will there need to be adjustments to settings etc on the Mac itself; and perhaps to our iPads when we move back and forth from one place to another?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Only that you will need to log into the local network at each location, just as you do today. The technology is on the "other" side of your router, so invisible to the Mac. (Except for the change in speeds, of course.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.