Sonoma 14.4.1 and iCloud

Reaction score
Hi, after update my iMac and Mac Book Pro to Sonoma 14.4.1 I'm not able to sync both with iCloud any more. Does someone have experienced same issue?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Are both logged into your AppleID account? Even if you think the are, then log out and log back into that AppleID account to re-establish the connection. The disconnect is not unique to 14.4.1, but can happen with any updates to the OS.

OP
bnick53
Reaction score
Are both logged into your AppleID account? Even if you think the are, then log out and log back into that AppleID account to re-establish the connection. The disconnect is not unique to 14.4.1, but can happen with any updates to the OS.
Thanks for your answer. Yes, both are logged into my AppleID account. I logged out and back into AppleID account and it worked for iMac but for MacBookPro. I've still issues with it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
but for MacBookPro. I've still issues with it.

What sort of issues? I am presuming from what you said that syncing to iCloud is not the only issue. If there is/are further issues, that might interfere with your iCloud difficulty.

Ian

OP
bnick53
Reaction score
What sort of issues? I am presuming from what you said that syncing to iCloud is not the only issue. If there is/are further issues, that might interfere with your iCloud difficulty.

Ian
No other issue, it is always the icloud sync than dosn't work. Finder is not working while no issue with Photo and Memo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finder is not working
Really? How is it not working? It is a central part of the operating system and if it's not working, you have very serious issues.

OP
bnick53
Reaction score
when I open finder and go to icloud everything freezes and the wheel spins continuously. If I try to sprite the files onto the desktop the same thing happens: everything freezes and the wheel spins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when I open finder and go to icloud everything freezes and the wheel spins continuously. If I try to sprite the files onto the desktop the same thing happens: everything freezes and the wheel spins
I presume by "icloud" you really mean iCloud Drive (Yes, they are two different things.). Do you also have "Optimize Mac Storage" turned on? Do you have "Optimize Storage" turned on? Those options move what was on your Mac to the cloud, and it can be slower to retrieve them if you have a slow or congested internet connection.

OP
bnick53
Reaction score
It was on, I turned it off. I'll see what happens now.
Thanks for your support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Leave the machine on, connected, for a long time. All of that stuff that got loaded to iCloud now needs to be downloaded and put back, and it's not trivial. In addition, if you had Desktop and Documents turned on, then your on-machine Desktop and Documents folders will be erased and left empty and new folders created where the items from the cloud will be downloaded. You'll then have to do some cleanup to move items from those new folders to the newly empty desktop and documents. I didn't realize you were going to move so quickly, or I would have warned you in advance.

Do NOT reverse the process you have started. You now have to let it run. It may be a long time, depending on your internet speeds, your drive/mac speeds and the load on Apple's servers.

OP
bnick53
Reaction score
Thanks for your support and suggestions, but nothing worked! What I did is create a new admin account, delete my old one and sync iCloud. Now every thing is ok. Thanks Apple fir time you made me wast!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Nice one! Good for you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your support and suggestions, but nothing worked! What I did is create a new admin account, delete my old one and sync iCloud. Now every thing is ok. Thanks Apple fir time you made me wast!
Make sure the iCloud settings are how you want them. The settings are not universal, but unique to each user, and the defaults seem to be to store documents in the cloud, which was not what you wanted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.