Using a printer for photocopies

Reaction score
My HP 3035 printer does good photocopies ... but I have to get some 30 or more photocopies for something.

I'm inclined to think that using the HP 3050 will probably work out more expensive than going to the local copyshop for that number of copies. I think that "printer photocopies' are quite greedy on the ink cartridge.

Comments appreciated ...

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Using the copy shop will also save some wear & tear on your printer. Certainly not a lot but every bit adds up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on wear and tear ... but is it indeed the case that for a batch of around 30 photocopies, it would be cheaper to use a copy-shop rather than my HP printer? The cartridges are pretty expensive and I guess that photocopies can use up a lot of the ink. What do you think?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A quick search indicates that this is a laserjet printer and if so, the toner is nowhere near as expensive as the ink from an Inkjet printer and also is capable of printing thousands of pages before running low.

A photocopy doesn't take any more toner than a regular print. If you are copying something in color, then all color toners will be used, if you are doing B&W, then only a couple.

But either way, wear and tear is not relevant here and 30 copies is absolutely nothing. If you were thinking of doing 3000 copies, that's a different story since you'll definitely run out of toner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
But either way, wear and tear is not relevant here and 30 copies is absolutely nothing.

Plus, just the cost of gas to get to the print shop and return home is probably going to cost you more than your total cost of printing 30 copies at home. That's just a quick exercise job for a laser printer.

And not too excessive for an inkjet printer either, assuming if you purchase reasonably priced inks.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info … BTW, my printer is an elderly inkjet. Not a laser. The copies that I have to do are all B+W. I’m not a penny-pincher but always had the idea that an inkjet is an ink guzzler!

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on wear and tear ... but is it indeed the case that for a batch of around 30 photocopies, it would be cheaper to use a copy-shop rather than my HP printer? The cartridges are pretty expensive and I guess that photocopies can use up a lot of the ink. What do you think?

In your first post in this thread you've alternately told us that you have an HP 3035 and an HP 3050. I don't see that an HP 3050 ever existed, so I'll assume that you meant that you have an HP 3035.

The HP 3035 is a black and white multi-function laser printer. High capacity toner cartridges for it are part number: HP51x. You can get them for only $40. They are rated for a stunning 13,000 pages! :

HP41X $40

So, for your printer, using one of the above toner cartridges, it works out to only about one cent for every three pages printed! I'd say that means that using your multi-function printer as a copy machine is likely more economical than any printing service that I've ever encountered.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry about the error … this printer is a desk jet HP 3050. It has a colour ink cartridge and a black ink cartridge. it is not a laser.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Regardless of it being an InkJet or Laser printer, 30 copies is nothing. Just print them and move on. As you run low on ink, get new ink.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Kind of you to say thanks for my advice. I didn't give any. ;)

My post was to confirm the Model and allow wiser counsel to use the details as an assist.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry about the error … this printer is a desk jet HP 3050. It has a colour ink cartridge and a black ink cartridge. it is not a laser.

You are very wise to be cautious when doing a fair amount of printing with your printer as many printers designed for home use have a recommended maximum limit to the number of copies printed at one time, but yours seems to be restricted to about 50 copies at a time maximum:

As for inks and ink costs, many of us use third-party inks that are substantially lower prices than the printer manufacturers with great success and you could Google for such ink suppliers.

Also, most inkjet printers have a built-in option for print quality such as standard or Black (draft) which could save you some ink usage and costs if it produces a decent print job for your use.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
As for inks and ink costs, many of us use third-party inks that are substantially lower prices than the printer manufacturers with great success and you could Google for such ink suppliers.

Also, most inkjet printers have a built-in option for print quality such as standard or Black (draft) which could save you some ink usage and costs if it produces a decent print job for your use.
All very good advice, especially the third-party ink suggestion. When I install a fresh "equivalent" cartridge, I'm happy that my Canon printer comes back with "Original Canon Ink Cartridge detected". Hah! Fooled it again!

Unless color is required, I click "Black & White" in the print dialog, which (presumably) uses only the larger Black cartridge, rather than any of the four CYM+B cartridges.

And I've found that "Quality -> Draft" is nearly indistinguishable from Standard printing, and uses (again, presumably) less ink.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.