3 and a half day review of my 2017 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Well it has been 3 and a half days since I got my 2017 MacBook Pro. So far it has been the nicest laptop I have ever had. I still like my late 2010 MacBook Pro, that is running macOS Sonoma with OCLP, this one is running supported macOS Ventura and runs circles around the 2010, as it likely should being 7 years newer. I was going to use OCLP on this one as well for macOS Sonoma, but since a couple members told me Ventura has most if not all the features Sonoma does, and recommended I leave it on Ventura.... and how nicely it works on macOS Ventura that is where it is going to stay for now. Easily get 5-6 hours out of the battery that has 782 cycles on it, which is impressive and could likely get more as it still has 30-40% battery percentage remaining after 5-6 hours of use. It has the 128 ssd and 8gb of ram. I may upgrade the ssd to at least 256gb, but so far still have close to 100gb left on the 128gb as most of what I use is cloud based, and it is like lightning to use. The only thing that will take time to get used to is the new style keyboard, because the keys have far less travel than on my 2010 MacBook Pro does. Not a big deal, just different and getting used to it. So far as in Mac history it is an awesome computer and JUST WORKS, unlike Microsoft and the Windows 11.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Glad you're so pleased with the "new" Mac. As you said, an echo of the US Film of the same name: "Whatever Works".

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Absolutely, It is me and one other person at my emergency management agency that refuses to use the provided windows laptops and only use Mac. Anytime I have to use windows, it is more of an annoyance than productive. Getting used to the new style keyboard, and actually since I kinda suck at typing, it is kinda a good thing. It seems like you need to press more on center for the keys to register, which actually is good for me, less spelling issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
I work for my county, I wish we could switch to MacBooks. They have recently allowed us iPhones and iPads but no laptops. I do not know if it is because of the price or our security systems for the network.

OP
C
Reaction score
My agency will not provide us with mac's, but we can use our own personal laptop if we so desire. We have to sign a form that we will use a security software, which of course I signed, but will not install one on any of my MacBook Pro's, even my 2010 that is running Sonoma thru OCLP. Have never found a need for one, and do not wish to choke the awesome perfect operating system with garbage.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well now that tomorrow, Monday will be 2 weeks with my new 2017 MacBook Pro... figured I will give it more praise, especially since I have used it daily for at least 4 hours a day. So far it performs far better than I expected it to, especially since my mid 2010 MacBook Pro performed very well on the unsupported install of macOS Sonoma. I have to say that it seems to run circles around the mid 2010 as far as speed, plus the fact that even though the battery has 788 cycles on it, I regularly get between 8 to 10 hours out of its battery and still have around 25 to 30% remaining charge when I plug it in for the night. Have only shut it down twice since I have owned it, once when it did the update to macOS Ventura from macOS Catalina that it came with, and once after like 2-3 days to clean the screen and memory pressure remains in the green, and still have almost 100gb free on the 128gb ssd. I may still consider upgrading the ssd to a 256gb one just because and to kinda like future proof it, since I believe that is the only upgrade to the hardware that can be done, do not think the ram is upgradable on it. As far as sticking with macOS Ventura, I am glad that members here advised me to stick with macOS Ventura, instead of using olcp to take it to macOS Sonoma, as Ventura has everything I want and runs very nicely. Wish it had the beautiful wall papers that Sonoma does... but the blue, yellow and orange is growing on me, also pretty much used to the new style keyboard since it has much less key travel and seems to need the keys to be pressed basically on center which is a good thing for the way I type... much less typos that need to be fixed later. It also seems to run much cooler than my mid 2010 did, since I do not think I have ever heard the fans come on except when it was updating to Ventura and copying my iCloud stuff, photos, emails, messages etc. I miss the backlit Apple logo on the lid, but it is what it is, and people think it is much newer than it actually is since it does not have the lit up apple logo.... So far I am extremely happy with it, and hope to be using it for several more years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.